Proposed Project Title: Mount Kilimanjaro Christian School for the Deaf (MKCSD)
Contact Person (s):
Frank Laurent / Executive Chairman
Mr. Mazengo William / Secretary
P.O. Box 3029
In the U.S.A:
Dr. John Yingling, President
Baptist International Outreach, Inc. (BIO)
P.O. Box 587
1136 Romans Road
Jefferson City, TN 37760
We are also a United States tax exempt charity through our mission agency (BIO). All donations are tax deductible.
Implementers: Project Executive Chairman
Location of Project: Dodoma, Tanzania East Africa
Motto: We Educate the Deaf to Excel
Mission Statement: Educating the Deaf & Hard of Hearing for a Prosperous Future.
The Mount Kilimanjaro Christian School for the Deaf (MKCSD) is a non-profit mission school under a ministry of Bethel Baptist Deaf Church of Tanzania. The aim of MKCSD is to offer education to the very poor, disadvantaged hearing impaired people in Tanzania. The government of Tanzania, through the Ministry of Education, has been unable to successfully establish specialized schools for the deaf.
To the fact that currently Tanzania has only one secondary school for the deaf that is owned by Lutheran Church in Iringa Region, however a few of the primary schools are available which were built by the Christian churches. Most of the deaf people in Tanzania are not educated and are alienated even by their close relatives. Many parents are ashamed of their children’s deafness and hiding them for fear of losing status or prestige. Deaf children are often kept at home and given low skill responsibilities such as washing dishes, laundry, tending cattle, plowing the fields, doing small business for their parents/families, and other leading a immoral life and in a very isolated and desperate situation.
Apart from social factors, there are no secondary schools set up to support deaf students despite recently establishment of above named secondary school for the deaf which still lack special facilities and teaching method.
Actually a key hindrance in acquisition of education to levels above primary schools is lack of special facilities and teaching methods for the deaf. Special facilities to train the deaf students are only in place in a few specially dedicated primary schools run by Christian churches which are inadequate to accommodate a growing number of deaf population in Tanzania. Inclusion of the deaf with normal students in unsuitable environment make them fail to cope, since sign language and supporting facilities are not used, resulting to poor results both in continuous and national examinations.
Taking as a sample; Dar Es Salaam Region, the most biggest and important city in Tanzania, with the most enlightened deaf population in Tanzania has all but only three deaf people who attained University Education level; 10 deaf who attained Form Six Education level and approximately 100 deaf people who have Form Four Secondary education level while the rest are either primary education leavers or never attended any formal or informal education program. Tanzania has approximately 800,000 deaf population and 26 regions.
Due to low literacy and negative attitude toward the deaf, their employment level is very low affecting their economic well being and future prospects. Most of the deaf have failed to get employment and opportunities else where are limited.
These adverse conditions have negatively affected the deaf community in poverty. Hence, the greatest need at the moment is to construct more unique schools for the deaf. The availability of the schools would provide education to equip the deaf and hard of hearing for a prosperous future and to enable them empower their community for the betterment. Thus this kind of the project is relief for these marginalized members of the society.
The overall objective of this project is to put in place and run a Christian school, which will offer high standards of education and instill Christian morals in the community. Under each of these programs, MKCSD will pursue the following goals:
A. Wholistic Education Program
- To increase intellectual and skill development opportunities for the deaf and inspire more deaf people to take interest in their own career development.
- To create condition under which deaf people can maximally realize their potentials right up to the highest degrees of academic qualification and at internationally competitive levels.
B. Specific Objectives
- To carry out the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Christian discipleship as well as build the love of God among deaf people.
- To build a modern school with double stream classes from Primary one to Primary seven, from primary seven to secondary levels, from secondary level to higher learning (College, vocational training)
- To build the students dorms, dinning hall, kitchen and an accommodation block for teachers as part of the school campus.
- To build other facilities i.e. administration block, toilet block, septic tanks, Art and Craft block, football and netball pitches and other facilities for games.
- To provide food, clean water, electricity, telephone and other accessories for communication, information, entertainment and education.
- To purchase and/or acquire vehicles, cycles and any other means of transport and communication aimed at facilitating the work of the school.
- To stimulate better awareness and public understanding of deaf life and deaf culture and rights as well as reduce public discrimination and injustice against deaf people, and train tomorrow’s deaf leaders and make a significant contribution to their nation and possibly the world.
- To offer education to deaf orphan.
- To encourage qualified deaf academics to be instrumental in substantially improving the educational situation for all deaf people.
Goals of the Project
- The project will provide a conducive atmosphere for conducting National examination.
- It will be a pre requisite for smooth operational links between the school and Ministry of Education and Sports as well as the Tanzania National Examination Council (NECTA).
- It will enhance the schools’ external relationships between public schools.
- It will lessen chances of exposing the lives of the user population to being affected by atmospheric hazards like scorching sunshine, strong winds and rainfall.
- As it is expected to be a multi-purpose room, the spiritual lives of members of the school community will be enriched as sometimes prayers like community prayer meeting and Christian conferences will be conducted there.
- To achieve these objectives, the activities and plan for the project implementation will be determined by the success of the ongoing financial grant and donation from partnering churches, charity organizations, donors, NGO, grant foundations, financial institutions, sponsors, and individuals.
- The actual cost is depending on the magnitude of cost components including the nature, size and location of the project as well as the management organization, among many considerations.
- That will also involve, land acquisition, including assembly, holding and improvement; Planning and feasibility studies; Architectural and engineering design; Construction, including materials, equipment and labor; Field supervision of construction, Construction financing, Insurance during construction and so on.
Areas of Need
The following phase of the project implementation to be constructed in one large campus:
- Elementary school building
- Elementary male dormitory and female dormitory
- High school building
- High school male dormitory and female dormitory
- College building
- College male dormitory and female dormitory
- Administrative block
- Kitchen and dinning hall
- Auditorium block/Conference hall
- Staff Quarters block
- Electricity (Electrical Materials)
- Water supply
- Buses and operational vehicles
- Office furniture and equipment
- Sports field and gymnasium
The management of the MKCSD will ensure the daily, monthly and annual Welfare of the school and its staff. It will liaise with and make recommendations and requests to the Ministry of Education, the donors and other governments and local organizations for the good of the project. They will also liaise closely with the local community.
As MKCSD is a charity and disabled organization, it will introduce the issue to Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and Ministry of Education and Vocational Training and hence enable without any doubt get tax exemption from Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) before, during and after implementation of the project.
The project will be built in phases depending on the regularity of the funds inflow from the sources of funding. It is expected and estimated that the school will take several years to be completed. After the primary school is completed and the school activities run smoothly, plans may be made for a Secondary School, then plans may further be made for a college and/or a Vocational Training Centre. The Project Work Plan or implementation plan may change as deemed necessary and the budget revised accordingly.
Members of the project committee
- Rev. Frank Laurent : Executive Chairman
- Mr. Mazengo William : Secretary
- Ms. Martha Safi: Member
- Mrs. Rehema Mazengo : Member
* Please mark your donation to MKCSD project fund – Tanzania*